Upping

Hi guys! Today I wanted to talk to your about how my training is effecting my eating habits and life. Training for a marathon requires some planning.  Running for an hour and a half a day doesn't just happen; both my Stepmom and I have to have time or we're not going to be able to get much else done.  We usually save the long runs for the weekend, but we still have to put in a lot of time for even a "shorter" run- anywhere from 2-6 miles.  On runs more than 4 miles, we use my interval timer and run at a 3:1 pace- meaning we run for three minutes and walk for run.  It makes the time fly by.  When we get home, we shower and then usually go out since energy is low after running.

Another thing I am doing is "upping".  Whenever we go on hard runs, whether they are fast or long, it burns a ton of calories.  For me, I can't burn that many calories without being STARVING later that day or the next day.  I find myself feeling empty even just an hour after a big meal, and sometimes at night I just can't think of anything by food as the caloric need hits me. 

I write down my food intake every day, so I can share a regular "upped" day with you (which is every day by now because my metabolism is used to this much food).  Today I didn't run at all, but I did a ZWOW and took a walk as exercise.  Here was my food:

Breakfast: 

Oatmeal with blueberries, vanilla, salt, vanilla soy milk, walnuts, and golden raisins.



Snack:  1/2 Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich + 1/4 of a bagel


+ a small piece of bread pre workout

(Sweat, but mostly laughter because Alex joined in)


Lunch (post workout):  First we got a free imitation crab and cucumber salad just from sitting at the bar- score!  Then I ate a salad, if I may call it that:




My order included cucumber rolls and a tofu, shittake mushroom, cucumber, lettuce roll:


I had probably 4 cucumber rolls and 2 tofu + about half of Alex's Teriyaki vegetable and one peice of his tofu.

That was VERY FILLING.

About 3 hours later, I snacked on some cold pasta salad that Adria made (maybe 10 noodles?)

Then we went to Whole Foods!

Here are some of the fun things I remember buying:
  • Chocolate and Plain Coconut Yogurt
  • Blueberry and Raspberry Almond Yogurt
  • 365 Organic Berry and Flax Cereal (off brand Kashi)
  • Freshly Ground Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter
  • Trail Mix of almonds, walnuts, pepitas, mulberries, dried cranberries, goji berries, and raisins
  • Chia seeds (only $7.69 for that entire bag!)
  • Blueberry Greek Frozen Yogurt (not for me :)
  • Hummus, Cilantro Jalepeno Hummus, Taboulleh, and Feta Garlic Dip Sample Box
  • Mini Pitas!
  • 88%  Dark Chocolate Bar
  • Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Clif Bars
  • 365 Organic Green Tea
  • 365 Organic Decaffinated Green Tea with Lemon Myrtle (SO GOOD- I'm drinking it right now)
  • Bottles of Jasmine Green Tea
  • Coconut Water
  • (Beer)


I.  Love. Whole Foods! 

Snack (pre movie):  Blueberry Amande Yogurt with trail mix.  Yummy and filling!


Tonight we went out and saw a movie called Moonrise Kingdom.  It was about two 12 year olds that fall in love with each other and it's set in the 1960's.  As my Stepmom said, it has very many moments that are just cute.  It is my favorite movie at the moment!


Dinner:  A cup of vegan chili mixed with almond milk and nutritional yeast:


And a salad: spinach, tabbouleh, hummus, sprouts.



Dessert:  Small handful of trail mix:




Can I just mention how much I love this bowl?!?!  My Stepmom's Dad made it himself and it's amazing.  I love unique bowls like this.  I resist buying them from stores.  It made the perfect oatmeal bowl.  


(These photos were taken post oatmeal)


So that was my day today!  Besides the 3 hours of homework that I did this morning (I assume you guys don't want to here about the vocabulary in Of Mice and Men).  Oh, and I did my last group of push ups right after my workout yesterday, but I only completed 40 (but that's still an improvement from my starting 33).  I've been working on my oatmeal page, but I can't seem to be able to edit the pictures and add captions.  I have slaved over the stove the past couple of mornings, all for nothing!  :D

I hope you guys have a nice Labor Day Weekend!  Good Night!

Comments

Popular Posts