Chocolate Espresso Vegan Brownies

Hi guys!  I can make this post tonight because my new computer came early!!!!  I'm so happy with it- a beautiful silver MacBook Air.  We bought it on tax free weekend, so it was the cost listed on the price tag.  Which was still a pretty penny, let me tell ya.  But now it's here, and it's mine... And, the past is the past so why think about it now? (#ScarlettO'Hara)

I whipped up these brownies for my brother and his musical friends.  They were a hit!  They're so fun to make and a great way to give back to your community :)  Brownies = happiness and friends.


Chocolate Espresso Vegan Brownies:
Dairy Free, Egg Free, Nut Free
Adapted from: neverhomemaker.com
  • One Flax Egg: 3 Tbsp hot water + 2 Tbsp ground flax
  • Dry ingredients: 1 3/4 cup all purpose organic flour + 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • Chocolate Factor:  7 Tbsp cacao or cocoa powder, 1/2 bar of dark chocolate (chopped), 1 Tbsp freshly ground coffee beans, + 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • Wet ingredients:  1 1/2 cup vegan sugar and 6 Tbsp Earth Balance Vegan Butter Stick (melted) + 1 more Tbsp for pan-greasing (no Pam, please.)
Directions:  Combine water and flax in a small bowl and set aside.  Preheat your oven to 350.  Whisk flour and baking powder together in a large bowl and set aside (with the flax egg to ensure that neither will feel lonely).  In a medium bowl, create the 'chocolate factor' and stir in boiling water.  Whisk ingredients until there are no more clumps, then add wet ingredients and flax egg to chocolate mixture.  Slowly add wet, chocolaty ingredients to flour and baking soda, stirring until well incorporated.  Grease a large pan with remaining pat of butter and add batter, spreading evenly with a spatula.  Place pan on the bottom rack of your oven and bake for 35 minutes, then let cool for an hour before cutting and serving.  Makes:  15 medium sized brownies.


These brownies are great!  Everyone loves them and the chocolate/coffee combination is great.  Even the batter is tasty...


But the finished product is even better!!!


I though these brownies were the most beautiful dessert I've ever made.  They were exactly what I want in a brownie: crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and the perfect balance of sweet and salty.


They were so good that I knew they'd be tempting for my family, so I wrapped them up in three layers of saran wrap and put a note virtually saying "KEEP OUT" on it.

It was not enough to keep my family out :)


School starts in less than a week!  Ack!  I'm so excited to be in classes with my friends again and to meet so many new people.  Also, I'm trying to organize a vegan club for the high school.  I think it's a great way to inform other teenagers about the concept and hopefully encourage herbivorous ways :D  I'm already doing my research and thinking about people who might want to join.  I already have a quite large (hypothetical) group.  Okay, so maybe I'm really excited about school.

Are you excited about school?  Nervous?  Are you going to make brownies for people so they'll like you?

I hope you guys have a great week!  The heat is finally hitting us down here in Atlanta, so I'm making sure to crawl into the cool sanctuary called my bedroom and never face the 90 degree weather unless forced.  YAY FOR SUMMER!

Comments

  1. Hope you get your Vegan club going!!! I'm so trying the brownies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts