My New Favorite Lunch: Wraps!

Hi guys!  I hope you're enjoying 2014!  I know I am- and I'm super excited for the rest of the year!  My brother just got his license, I'll be getting my permit soon, I'm starting a new rotation in Urban Ag- there's just so many things to look forward to.  

Something that I enjoyed quite a lot at the very end of last year and beginning of this year were wraps.  For some reason, they became so dern tasty to me!  One thing I love about being vegan is taking foods that I used to love and reinventing them in healthier, kinder ways.

The first of the three wraps I'm sharing with you today is inspired by a chicken wrap I used to get at McDonald's.  I liked the meat, the carbs, the tomatoes in the ketchup (which I replaced with pico de gallo here), and the spicy taste from the McDonald's I got the spicy chicken (substituted with a boca burger and mustard):
You'll Need:
  • 1 large whole wheat wrap (I had Mission- 9 grams of protein per tortilla!)
  • 1 boca burger- original, chick'n, or spicy chick'n
  • 1 Tbsp hummus (imitates the creaminess of cheese)
  • 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
  • 1 handful of greens (McDonald's uses lettuce, but I used spinach)
  • Pico de Gallo on the side
  • Carrots and Hummus (instead of fries and ketchup!)
It's not a spot on impersonation (imwrapination?), but it still reminded me of that childhood favorite ;)

The next wrap I'll share with you is good as well- it reminds me of the french dip with au jou from Arby's.  But not gross.  This meal travels fantastically and makes a perfect school or work lunch:


You'll Roll:

  • 1 large tortilla
  • 2 Tbsp guacamole (or 1/3 of a mashed avocado)
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1 cup mixed greens (mustard, romaine, spinach, etc.)
  • 4 slices Smart Deli Turkey (vegan turkey!)
  • Balsamic Vinaigrette for dipping
  • Celery with Hummus (instead of curly fries and bbq!)

The final wrap is my favorite!  I absolutely love bell peppers and this wrap is packed with colors, nutrients, and filling ingredients:


You'll Use:
  • 1 large tortilla
  • 1 Tbsp basil pesto hummus (from Sabra)
  • 1.5 tsp spicy brown mustard
  • 3 slices of Smart Deli Turkey
  • 1 small handful of spinach leaves
  • 1/3 cup multicolor bell pepper strips (yum!!!!)
  • 2 Tbsp of Balsamic Vinaigrette: 1/2 cup balsamic (this was cranberry-pear <3), 1/3 cup olive oil, 1 tsp spicy mustard, 1/2 tsp dried herbs (your favorites), salt + pepper - for dipping
  • 1/2 orange (instead of candy)
To Make A Delicious Wrap:
Take your tortilla and lay it flat on a large, circular plate.  Heat for 15-30 seconds in the microwave, then spread condiments in a large circle in the center of the wrap.  Leave about 2 inches on each side free and clean.  Add faux turkey or burger and your veggies.  Fold left and right sides in, then take the bottom of your wrap and pull it over the fillings, tucking and rolling until the wrap is completely secured.  Heat this for another 15-30 seconds.  Serve with cold dips and sides.  

And that's a wrap!

What are your favorite wrap ingredients?

Have a great weekend!


Comments

Popular Posts