Easy Homemade Applesauce

Hi guys! You guys know that I love Cold Weather Recipes, and I have another one for you today!  This recipe is actually good both warm and cold, but it just has an autumn feel smell to it (thank you cinnamon!)  Another fantastic thing about this recipe is that it only requires 5 ingredients!


Easy Homemade Applesauce:
Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Optional Nut Free
Step Grandfather's Recipe
  • 4 pounds of apples (peeled and quartered)
  • 12 cups water
  • 2 cups golden raisins
  • 2 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 Tbsp freshly ground nutmeg
  • Garnish with: walnuts, almond, nut butter, granola, toasted coconut
Directions:  Prepare apples and place them in a pot with water, raisins, and spices.  Bring to a boil, then simmer with the lid of the pot slightly agape for 2-3 hours.  Cool before transferring to Tupperware.  Makes:  8-10 cups.

Hour By Hour:
1.  Place ingredients in a pot (we left the skins on our apple but this is optional).  Bring to a boil then simmer:

2.  After one hour:

3.  After 2 hours:
 
Cool and serve! 
 
This recipe, as you can tell, is so easy!  Every once in a while stir it, but that's pretty much all the work that you have to do.  Woot.
 
It's a great breakfast accompaniment (think brown rice or oatmeal topped with applesauce, or tofu scramble, toast, and applesauce), but really the perfect snack:
 
 ^Paired with salad and pureed sweet potato
 ^In cahoots with peanut butter pretzels + avocado toast.
 
My favorite topping for this applesauce is walnuts.  They add a perfect buttery, crunchy flavor (am I the only person who thinks walnuts are buttery?) 
 
 
I've started to do Pilates every morning before school.  I do it for 10-30 minutes (depending on how long it takes me to get out of bed) and it really is a great way to start the day.  I follow a girl on Youtube (I don't have the brain power to make one up in the morning) and it helps me wake up.  It's easier than doing a Bodyrock, but it still provides a good muscle buuuurrrrrnnnn.  I like it because it makes breakfast so much better too.  This is how the morning looks now: wake up at 6:30, brush my teeth, on the floor by 6:67, do 1-3 workouts (until 7), change clothes, brush my hair, pack my book bag, feed the dogs, make tea, make breakfast, eat breakfast, make lunch, make more tea (tea for the day), put on my shoes, get my butt out the door, go to school (then my day happens).
 
At Paideia (my favorite place) they have an excellent, amazing, tear jerking or mind blowing Chorus.  Here's some of the High School's recent works:

Male Chorus:
 
Female Chorus:
 
Male A Cappella:
 
Female A Cappella:
 
I know.
 
They're great.
 
Oh Goodness I need to do homework!  But I'm so touched in my heart by these beautiful songs that I'm going to go read my runnergirl book instead.  Have a good night!
 
Have you ever been to a great chorus performance?
 
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts