Vegan Dinner For Three In >20 Minutes With 7 Ingredients

Hi guys! We all know that there is rarely time to cook full blown dinner, and it's tempting to eat out and spend a lotta money. But you don't have to do that! Here is an easy vegan dinner recipe for three (or four without leftovers or if you don't live with two vegan teenagers). The ingredients are cheap and simple to prepare, but the meal has a lot of flavor while still being really healthy. Enjoy!


 
For this dinner, you'll need:
1.  5 Minute Brown Rice
2.  Spinach
3.  Cubed or Regular Tofu
4.  Olive Oil
5.  Soy Sauce
6.  Lemon
7.  Spices + Seasonings

I started by boiling the water and cooking the brown rice.  While it was cooking, I made the spinach and the tofu.


Then I sauteed spinach.  I used an entire large box of spinach (I would guess about 8 cups because it cooks down), 2 Tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.  I served it with lemon because the juice helps release the iron in spinach.

Finally, I cooked the tofu.  This was so good that I'm going to make it a recipe...
Ginger Tofu:
Vegan, Nut Free
  • 1 block of tofu, drained and cubed
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 3-6 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 1 tsp ground ginger (we didn't have any fresh, but fresh is always better!)
Directions:  After draining and cubing the tofu, heat up a non stick skillet with olive oil.  When warm, add tofu and cook for 1-2 minutes.  Add soy sauce, 1 Tbsp at a time, until all of the cubes have some brown on them.  Add garlic and ginger, and sautee for 5-7 more minutes (the tofu should get crispy).

Then shish-boom-pow, it's ready!  Serve with lemon and soy sauce.  Everybody loved it, and it's perfect for a quick vegan meal anytime!


I found this online the other day and I thought it was interesting:
Look at it ^

The first sections sections of this pyramid are fruit and vegetables, plant oils, whole grains, nuts/seeds, and legumes.  Those things are all vegan, plant based foods.  When people ask a vegan "what do you even eat?" they should take that time to look at their own diet.  If they can't find anything already vegan in their diet, then maybe they should question their diet rather than a vegan's, yes?  Okay, Adair, stop the vegan rant, back to the pyramid.

As you go higher up the pyramid, you get to water.  Really, water should be at the bottom, and everybody should definitely drink more than 5 glasses of water a day (even if it's in the form of tea :).  Water is so good for you.  If your pee is yellow, drink more water.  If you're bloated, drink more water.  If you've just sweat buckets, drinks buckets of water.  Drink a gallon a day.  Drink two.  Stick a tea bag in it and feel cool.  Just drink water.


You also get to plant proteins.  There's a big argument about the benefits and consequences of soy, but I have not picked a side.  What I've done is to drink almond milk instead of soy milk and try to eat more  whole vegan foods (such as vegetables, beans, grains, and chickpeas) and less Tofurky and Chick'n.  This makes me feel better and less of a, eh, cheating vegan.  Yet I don't limit tofu and tempeh as much, a certain vegan teenage boy in my house tends to eat large quantities of those kind of things (1/2 block of tofu, a 9 inch slab of tempeh) so they never last very long, leaving me with the beans and chickpeas to fill up on.

Notice the small triangles for red meat, butter, fried food, and soda.  I feel like we all know these things are unhealthy, but sometimes indulge in them from time to time.  I usually can't, with the veganism and all.  Obviously red meat and butter are out of the picture (as are a lot of sweets because they contain butter or milk or eggs), but fried foods can be cooked in the same oil as meat or in an animal oil and soda can be made with unvegan (I think I just made that word up, but I think it fits) sugar, which is made with bone char from animals.  Oh, and don't eat jello.

I hope you don't think that being vegan is very hard because of this.  If I'm craving a meat (which I never do), I can always just buy the fake version of it, a little more expensive and less healthy than beans, but better for me and my conscious than KFC's Original Blend Fried Chicken.  Sweets are more tricky, and a lot of times I have to use the same will power that I used when I was trying to lose weight (just distract yourself, you'll feel guilty about that later, ra ra ra).  The vegan sweets don't get this kind of negative commentary; with them I have more of a "OMG VEGAN GIMME" mindest.

What would be the hardest part about being vegan for you?

Have a Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular Posts