Cowboy Cookies

Hi guys!  Today I have a recipe for you that is the first of many!  I'm back on a baking streak.  First of all, today I had an awesome workout:  3 miles on the treadmill (I read those horrible fitness magazines while I'm on it to pass the time- really, nuts are good for you?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?) then Zwow #41 in 14:02 minutes.  Then I streeettccched and did about 3 minutes of pilates before it was time to go.  When we got home I had dinner.... And a couple cookies!
 
Cowboy Cookies:
Vegan, Low Sugar
  • 1/4 cup ground flax
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 2 cups oats
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 cups assorted:  dried blueberries, raisins, walnuts, slivered almonds, chocolate, etc.
  • Topping:  2 tsp cinnamon + 2 Tbsp brown sugar
Directions:  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  Mix flax and water together and set aside.  Combine brown sugar, whole wheat flour, pastry flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  In a separate bowl, melt the coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Combine melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.  Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and still.  Add flax egg and stir.  Fold in fruit, nuts, and chocolate ( I used 1/2 cup chopped chocolate bar).  Spoon cookies onto baking sheets.  Sprinkle a little brown sugar/ cinnamon topping onto each cookie.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cookies smell done.  Makes:  About 3 dozen cookies.
 
Step By Step:
 
1.  Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl:
 

 
2.  Melt coconut oil and add maple syrup + vanilla extract:
 
^Awesome picture, right???
 
3.  Add wet to dry, mix, and stir in the flax egg:
 
 
4.  Fold in assorted goodies:
 
 
Don't forget the chocolate.  It's the best part.
I used 88% cocoa... I like it dark :)
 
 
5.  Spoon onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with love:  
 
 
6.  Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 until they smell delicious and WAIT FOR THEM TO COOL FOR 10 MINUTES.  Then eat four, like I did, or eat 5, like my brother did:
 
 
Serve with almond milk <3
 
Alex and I scarfed these post 10 miles (me)/ post mock trial? (Alex)  We watched the Hunger Games.  We chatted and made fun of people the entire movie.  Good sibling bonding time!
 
Look at this picture of our cat, Doodle.  She's a chameleon :)
 
 
 
I hope you guys try these cookies.  They are sooooo tasty and you can add anything you want to them to make them your own!  Goodness me.  Make them!
 
What would you add to your Cowboy Cookies?  Is your cat a chameleon? 
 
I hope you guys have a nice weekend!

Also:
 
Would you guys be interested in a video of how I make my oatmeal?  I still here some people who are critical of oatmeal, but I have people who will back me up!  Come on, Alli, Julia, and Alex!


Comments

  1. Yes! Oatmeal video. Please. And those chocolate balls from a few posts back.
    -Julia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts