Helpful Recycling Tips

Hi guys!  You know that it's important to recycle, but there's more than just keeping a blue box under your desk at work.  I really like to find new ways to repurpose things and make sure I get the full value of all of my purchases.  Recycling like this saves more than one type of paper (I joke, I joke :)  

  1. Use a recyclable recycling box for collecting recyclables around the house.  I use a cardboard shoe box in my room and I carry it down to the recycling whenever it is (extremely) full.  A seen above, my blue box is beside my desk, full of math work and tea bag sheets.  It needs to be dumped, but I also have to do stuff that is not that.
  2. Remake old t shirts into shirts you'd wear.  I'd suggest checking out BuzzFeed for ideas- you can try it with your friends.  Fun with scissors!  
  3. Clothing Swaps!  What you've lost interest in can intrigue others.  My friend Julia and I just did this recently and it was great!  I love all of my Julia clothes (for sentimental reasons).
  4. Reuse glass jars from jam and other foods to hold nuts, flowers, granola, or vinaigrettes.  Personalized granola in a jar makes a great birthday gift!
  5. Save every bag, box, and bow you receive for presents- you never know when you need something to be wrapped or shipped!
  6. Share all of your books with your friends and community and shop for books you want at thrift stores- you'd be surprised at what you find!
  7. Set up a home compost (see below).  If you don't want to make everything, find a place in woods nearby (away from the road) where you can dump your left over food scraps to give those nutrients back to the soil!  But no meat or dairy (I am one with the compost, you see).
  8. Use half-used paper again as scrap paper for work or lists.  So yes, I have a piece of paper with a thesis statement, a tofu recipe, a misheard quote, and a scratched out parabola on it.  And a couple of ideas for a club I'm starting next year written around the side holes, which make me angry unless the piece of paper is in a binder at that very moment.  I NEED THAT SPACE FOR MY WORDS.

How To Compost!
I have a couple of friends who don't have a home compost.



What are some of your favorite recycling tips?

Have a great day!

Comments

Popular Posts