In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan: A Review

Hi guys!  It's the last day of my summer vacation- yup, that means tomorrow I'll be back in school.  I have my schedule, I have my books, I have my running shoes, all I need is some excitement and I'll be practically prepared in every way ;)

Yesterday, I finished a book called In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan- the same guy who wrote The Omnivore's Dilemma and The Botany of Desire.  In Defense of Food examines the changes in the Western diet since the 1950s and compares the Western diet to international and traditional diets.  He opens with the blunt statements: "Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants."  He, of course, explains what he means in each sentence, but those ideas make up the fundamental undertone of the entire book.

"Eat food":  Pollan explains how the refinement and processing of whole foods have left them nutritionally bare.  He suggests avoiding foods with more than five ingredients (which I believe is pretty impossible because salsa), ingredients that you can't pronounce, or those that your great-grandma wouldn't recognize as sustenance (his example: GoGurt).  He also talks about 'health foods', like "Whole Grain White Bread" from Sara Lee that contains 41 ingredients- an example of a food that has been made to be 'healthy' then modified so it would be softer, chewier, and able to last longer.  While explaining what 'real food' is, Pollan gives examples of ancient diets and food preparation techniques that make food as healthful and delicious as it should be.

"Not too much":  For this rule, Pollan reminds the reader of the Western idea that the meal is done when the plate is clean or bowl is empty and not when the diner is full.  He contrasts this with the French notion to stop eating when the diner is full, but that doesn't end the meal, which is a time to socialize and connect.  He provides examples of ranges of diets and communities thriving on them, no matter what their ratios of fat to carb to protein are.  Pollan tries to teach the reader to be mindful while eating and to appreciate each bite more.  He proposes to spend more time making food and eating it, to eat with others at tables, and to snack less.  Each bite is to be savored with maximum enjoyment!

"Mostly plants":  Pollan is not a vegetarian or vegan, but he is a smart man and knows that people need vegetables and fruits to be truly healthy.  He believes it is important to eat plants not because they are high in X or Y vitamin, but because, simply put, the food as a whole gives your body good things.  Since he eats meat, he talks about the humane way to raise animals and which statements actually mean that those animals had happy lives- "pastured" vs. "free-range"; "grass fed" vs. "100% grass fed".

I loved this book.  I've barely even skimmed the topics that Michael Pollan explains wonderfully- I suggest that every person who is even slightly concerned about their health to read it.  Pollan is a knowledgeable and witty writer, and for a book full of facts and scientific information, it was a surprisingly easy read.  It was, by far, the best health based book I've ever read.  I kind of want to immediately reread it, and then keep doing that for the rest of my life.

What's the best book you've read this summer?

Have a great week!

Comments

Popular Posts