Sweet Vegan Popcorn

Hi guys!  I wanted to share with you a recipe for one of my favorite snacks- popcorn!  When I want dessert or something to satisfy my sweet tooth, I like to add sweet toppings to my popcorn.  It's a simple recipe, but it's much better for you than movie theater popcorn or "butter" flavored microwave popcorn (which is usually not made with butter).

Popcorn is a high volume, low fat food that is packed with whole grains, fiber, and antioxidants, especially if you air pop or microwave it (we have an air popper; it was a fantastic investment).  Popcorn is very versatile and allergen friendly, so if you have a gluten-free-peanut-and-soy-allergic-vegan, you can still snack together.

Source
Sweet Vegan Popcorn:
Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Nut Free

  • 1 Tbsp canola oil
  • 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
  • 2 Tbsp agave syrup
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • Optional: chocolate chips
Directions:  In a large pot with a lid, heat canola oil with four kernels of popcorn on medium heat with the lid ajar.  When at least one of them have popped, pour the rest of the kernels then move the pot off heat for thirty seconds.  Put popcorn back over heat for about three minutes, routinely shaking it (every 15-20 seconds) to ensure it won't burn.  Try to keep the lid cracked to let some of the smoke escape.  Pour half the agave over the top with a bit of cinnamon and salt.  Toss and repeat.  If you want, you can melt the chocolate with some almond milk or coconut oil and drizzle it over the top as well.  Makes:  10-12 cups of popcorn. 

Guys, this is so good!  It makes the perfect movie snack.  We just watched The Grand Budapest Hotel and it was so great!  Very entertaining in every way.  Wes Anderson is definitely one of my favorite directors.   He also directed Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Moonrise Kingdom, which are all wonderful movies.  I just bought the Moonrise Kingdom soundtrack and I must say it's pretty epic.

Happy July!  I've really been enjoying my Summer- seeing my friends, reading, running, playing Pokemon :)  Later today, I'm going down to Alabama to see my family for the Fourth of July, so I'm really excited about that!  

What are you doing for the Fourth of July?  

Have a great week!

Comments

Popular Posts