Vegetable Korma (Light Version)

Last night, after I posted, I realized I bearly have any dinner recipes on the blog, so I decided to post one tonight.  Here it is:


Vegan Korma:
Adapted from my mom's recipe, which is adapted from somewhere over the internet

  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 3 cups carrots, chopped
  • 2-3 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 inches fresh giner, chopped finely
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 red potatoes, cubed
  • 1 sweet potato, cubed
  • 6 jalapeno slices, deseeded and minced
  • 1/4 head red cabbage, chopped (anyone else have a butt load of red cabbage they're trying to get rid of?)
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 2-3 tsp curry powder
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/3 can of coconut milk
  • 1/3 cup soy milk, if it's too spicy
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1/3 cup cilantro (optional/for garnish)
  • 1/2 lemon, sliced (optional/for garnish)
Directions:  Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add carrots and mushrooms and cook until tender.  Add ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.  Mix in potatoes, sweet potato,  jalapeno, red cabbage, and tomato sauce.  Season with curry powder and salt.  Cook for 10-20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.  Stir in bell pepper, coconut milk, and water.  Reduce heat and taste.  Add as much soy milk as needed, then simmer for 10-20 minutes.  Garnish with cilantro and lemon.  Serve with naan, baked pitas, or basmati rice.  Serves 3-4.



It was delicious!  I'm so proud of the recipe- I cut down the oil to 1 tbsp (from 3) and used 1/3 of the coconut milk.  We both agreed it still tasted amazing.  It's also a great way to sneak in (I mean use up) some red cabbage.

Exercise Challenge- April 12th, 2012:
Go to bed 30 minutes earlier: No, this isn't really an exercise challenge, but I've noticed that MY sleeping patterns have been pretty wacky lately, so I'm going to go to bed as soon as I finish this post.  Yawwwwwwnnnnnnn....

Another thing to do: put basil on sandwiches:

And avocado and tomato paste and sprouts and sauteed spinach + mushrooms.

But mostly the basil...


OH LOWT!  Look at that leaf...  I think it ate it's leafy green friends, so as to become the dominant basil leaf.

Have you ever lightened up a recipe and it turned out just as good as the original?

Good night!  I hope you guys will try my 'exercise' challenge and let me know how it goes!   You should be able to post now!

Comments

Popular Posts