Homemade Quinoa Veggie Burgers!

Hi guys!  About a year ago, a girl asked me about a recipe for a vegan burger, and it took me this long to make one.  I'm a bit of a procrastinator...  But better late than never, right?


Homemade Quinoa Veggie Burgers:
Vegan, Soy Free, Nut Free, Low Sugar, Almost But Not Quite Gluten Free
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa (KEEN-WAHHH)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 tomato, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 1/3 cup (loose) cilantro, chopped
  • 1 tsp old bay
  • 1/3 tsp cumin
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:  Preheat oven to 350 (F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Place quinoa and water in a pot, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water.  Fluff quinoa with a fork.  Let cool, then place in a food processor with all of the other ingredients.  Scoop into equal sized patties and place two to three inches apart on baking sheet.  Bake for 20 minutes, flip, then bake for 10 more minutes.  Remove from oven and wait 15 minutes before serving.  Makes: 8 (medium) -12 (small) patties

Step By Step:
1. Make quinoa:
 
This batch was so fluffy that I couldn't help but snack on some quinoa before dinner :)
 
2.  Chop all veggies (and garlic).  In the recipe I was inspired by, the only two 'vegetables' in the entire veggie burger were onion and garlic:
 

I quickly changed that (seen below)

3.  Place all ingredients in food processor:


4.  Don't forget the spices :)

 
Then bake and serve!  I served mine in a pita with hummus and tomato slices and it was perfect!  I had a craving for pita with hummus, a veggie burger, and tomato.  And guess what?  This hit the spot :D


I liked it so much that I packed another one for lunch, along with greens, bell pepper, sprouts, and lemon juice:

 
They're the perfect addition to salads!  Not only did it make the salad that I brought for lunch, but it added great flavors to the post-run lunch I had yesterday:



The goods:  spring mix, carrots, cucumbers, barley salad, sprouts, avocado, a Quinoa Veggie Burger, lemon juice, and hemp oil.  It was a great salad!

Some vegan foods make you feel more vegan than others, if you know what I mean :)

I hope you've noticed some changes that I've made to the blog.  I like the vegetables as a background for this veggie-filled blog!

Really quick: if you love pictures of food, check out Ashley Bar's Tumblr.  I love her [food] so much!  Check her blog out and you'll see why!

 Who are your celebrity crushes? 

Have a great week!  I hope that you (or your Mom ;) will make this veggie burger! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts