Crockpot Curry

Hi guys!  I made this curry the other day and thought it was a flop, but as everyone in my family tried it and like it, I decided I would share it with you.  This soup is all about the garnishes.  The base of the soup is bowl licking good, and it's amazing for you and will keep you going ;) It's a simple recipe and very easy to make and also makes great left overs (it tastes best two days later after the flavors have marinaded!). 


Crockpot Spicy Curry:
Adapted from: food.com
  • 3 cups dried beans (I used kidney beans), soaked overnight
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 large sweet potato, chopped
  • 10 baby carrots or 2 regular carrots, chopped
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 Tbsp minced ginger
  • 2 Tbsp red curry paste
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp turmeric (changes the color!)
  • 3 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 8 cups water or vegetable broth (if using broth omit the salt)
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • To garnish (optional):  Rice, Vegan Sour Cream, Basil, Golden Raisins, Pita Triangles (with smart balance), Hot Sauce
Directions:  Rinse and soak your beans overnight.  In the morning, add to your slow cooker/ crockpot along with the onion, sweet potato, and carrots.  Mix them together and add garlic, ginger, red curry paste, and spices.  Add shredded coconut and coconut oil.  Add water and almond milk.  Cook on high for 7 hours.  Stir and pour into bowls.  Garnish!

My favorite garnishes are pita with smart balance, basil, golden raisins, and peach hot sauce (all at the same time).  My brother likes sour cream, basil, hot sauce, and a roll with butter, and my mom likes sour cream, golden raisins, and pita triangles as garnish. 

Step By Step:

Although this is an extremely simple recipe, I still made a step by step because I can't help myself.

1.  Chop all of your vegetables and add them to your slow cooker along with the beans:


2.  Add your spices and seasonings:


3.  Add your various coconut sources:


4.  Add you liquids:


5.  (Cook on high for 7 hours + add more salt and pepper to taste) Garnish and serve!


This curry is so easy and delicious!  All you have to do is throw everything in the crockpot and garnish it.  Then you have meals for days and days!

I am very happy because my stepmom has decided that she really likes the same workouts that I do!  That means will be working out together! It's nice because she's been working out for longer than I have but she still finds them difficult like I do.  I tend to push harder and to focus on my form more too because I don't want to be a bad example!  Adria told me she was officially hooked (like I am).  The site that I use is called bodyrock.tv  or Zuzana Light's Youtube Page.  I would say my druthers lies with Zuzana, but Bodyrock still produces good workouts.  I like Zuzana's because they are particularly creative and usually require minimum equipment (like a piece of string, a water bottle, a chair, etc.).  Bodyrock workouts are now in the same format every time (12 minutes of 10/50 second interval training or time challenge) with the exception of the ones Pre-October.  They're still fun and intense, but Zuzana's are different every week.  I usually do one Zwow (Zuzana's Workout Of the Week) followed by one Bodyrock workout.  This is what I did yesterday with Alex and Sellers (my brother and best friend):

Warm up:
A little light stretching
50 Jumping Jacks
25 Butt Kicks
30 High Knees
30 Crunches
20 Squats

Workout:

then I found a workout I did in February and decided to repeat it:

Give Up The Ghost Workout:
12 rounds of 10/ 50 second intervals

1 Push Up + 1 Pike Press- 8, 10, 9 were my scores
Jump Squats- 26, 30, 29
Burpees- 7, 7, 7
Bicycles (2 = 1 rep)- 39, 35, 26

Stretching:
After working out, I march for a couple of seconds and get some water before I stretch.  I stretch for about 15 minutes after I workout.  I pretty much do every stretch I know.  Stretching is my favorite part of working out.  I started stretching July of last year, and in 3 months time I could do full splits to both sides.  I recover better between my workouts if I stretch because I am less sore.  I think that your muscles look better if you stretch after working out and I think it's also good for the mind because it calms you down after you workout.  If you guys are interested, one day I'll post my stretching routine.


If you guys have any questions about my workout routine, please leave a comment below and I will answer it promptly. 

Do you have a workout routine?  What does it look like?

I hope you guys have a nice day!  Happy Weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts