Midnight Chocolate Chunk Brownies

Hi guys! The secret's out! The recipe that I was hinting at yesterday was for brownies! And not just any brownies~ vegan and gluten free brownies! Stay with me- they're super fudgey and delectable. They take patience, though, but they are WORTH IT.


These are for you, Gilli!


Midnight Chocolate Chunk Brownies:
Vegan/ Gluten Free
Adapted from:  glutenfreeeasily.com

  • 1 cup dark chocolate peanut butter*
  • 2 Tbsp chia seeds mixed with 1/2 cup warm water, set aside for ten minutes*
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup honey 
  • 1/4 cup raw cacao powder*
  • 2 Tbsp nut meal (ground nuts)
  • Optional:  1 small dark chocolate bar, chopped
Directions:  Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and grease a small 8" by 8" baking pan.  Combine your chia egg and set aside.  Combine peanut butter, honey, vanilla extract, salt, raw cacao powder, nut meal, and chia egg (if it's ready).  Stir with a wooden spoon until it's combined very well.  Taste it, and if it's not sweet enough, add more honey.  Pour your mixture into the baking dish and spread so that it is level.  Sprinkle your optional chocolate bar on top and bake at 325 for 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean (make sure you're not just sticking it into a chunk of chocolate).  Cool for ten minutes uncovered, then cool for an hour or overnight covered.  This makes them firm up.  Cut into 9 squares.  Enjoy!

*You can use any type of nut butter, such as almond butter, SUNbutter, regular peanut butter, or even nutella!
*If you don't like the texture of chia seeds (unlike me), you can replace them with ground flax seeds.  Or 2 eggs, if you're not vegan
*You can substitute 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for the raw cacao powder



Step By Step:

Combine your chia seeds and water.
Prepare to make your almond meal (you can use any nuts, I think)
This will be fun!
A whole lot of arm work later, you're ready!
Gather all of your ingredients.  They might not look like my ingredients, but that's okay.  
Stir all of them togetha!
Resist it!
Fail at resisting it...
Pour into a greased baking dish


Add sin.
Bake until awesome and let cool.

Serve!!!!


Oh my gosh, these brownies are amazing.  I would suggest serving them with ice cream, banana soft serve, fruit, or almond milk because they are quite dark and fudgey.  I really enjoy them....


*Reaches for a brownie*


Much better :D

In case you guys were wondering, this is the kind of dark chocolate I used:


It's filled with goji berries!  Those are a superfood and they are very good for you.  Taking that into consideration... The more brownies your eat, the healthier you are, right?  It's the answer to all my problems in life!

I want to say again how much I appreciate you viewers.  I love to hear from you guys!  I hope you guys try my recipes, or at least drool all over your computers at the thought of my recipes ;) 

More news!

My brother and I went to the doctor yesterday for our physicals.  For my age, I am 51% (average) weight, 67% (slightly taller than average) height, and my BMI is something like 18.18, or 37%-38%.  That kind of confuses me, but I think that I passed.  

What's really important is that I not only do not have any problems with my iron, it's actually higher than expected!  That means no iron pills for this gal!  I did have to have my blood taken, but that wasn't too bad (especially since they had Camp Rock playing on the TV in the corner- wheee!)

I was also slightly worried about scoliosis (because my aunt had it when she was a girl), but my doctor said my spine was perfect.  

One thing about being vegan or vegetarian at my age is that a lot of girls use it to hide their eating disorders; as in, lying about the reason they are not eating food.  They say that they don't eat that because they're vegan, but they're really trying to restrict they're food intake so they lose weight, and yadda yadda. I don't need to explain all of this, but it did concern my doctor when I told her about my vegetarianism + 30 pound weight loss.  She asked me if I had any goals for my body, and I told her that I wanted to gain some muscle, and definitely didn't want to lose any more weight.  She was very supportive the entire time and was very nice about everything.  After talking to me for a second, she understood that I was interested in the health benefits of veganism rather than just trying to slim up.  I could talk for days about my health, but I stopped then and I'll stop now :)


This morning my Stepmom, Adria (do I even have to introduce her anymore after The Wedding?) and I went to a 45 minute Pilates class at the local YMCA (yes, I just sang it in my head).  It was an intermediate class and it wasn't too hard, but it was nice to be there for such a soothing workout.  My workouts, while effective, are not soothing.  By the end of it, I was very mellow.  We then went to eat at Dulce Vegan.  I <3 that place!!!

I hope you guys have are having a good week!  I'm sorry for being late on the post, but the internet was being funny :S  Enjoy the rest of your day!




Comments

  1. You better plan on making these when you come back to Bammer. You know who this is, Cewpie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts