Vegan On The Cheap: Homemade Frozen Burritos

Hi guys!  I made these for my mom over the weekend and wanted to share because they are perfect for packed lunches and so, so cheap.  We had some veggies that were about to go bad (i.e. spinach, lime, onion, and garlic) so I whipped these up to stick in the freezer.


Homemade Frozen Burritos:
Vegan, Soy Free, Nut/ Seed Free
Adapted from Pinterest

  • 5 whole wheat tortillas, room temperature
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 3-5 cups spinach
  • 3 Tbsp lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
  • 3 Tbsp minced cilantro
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • Optional:  vegan cheese/ nutritional yeast, chopped tomato, jalapenos, hot sauce
Directions:  Heat olive oil in a skillet.  Add chopped garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add chopped onion and saute until golden, then add spinach.  To help it cook down, add a squeeze of lime.  Once it has wilted, add cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.  Turn off the heat and add black beans, just to warm them.  Place a tortilla on a cutting board and put one scoop (~1/2 cup) towards an edge of the tortilla, along with your desired toppings.  Fold in the two sides, then fold the end closest to the filling.  Finish by rolling the filled burrito up.  Wrap in tin foil.  Repeat until out of filling (it took 5 tortillas for me).  Place in the freezer.

Step By Step:

1.  Saute onion and garlic:

2.  Add spinach and lime juice:

3.  Add herbs and spices after spinach cooks down:

4.  Add black beans to warm them:

5.  Add filling to burrito:

6.  Fold burrito:

7.  Wrap in tin foil:



To Eat:  Unwrap a burrito from tin foil, wrap in a damp paper towel, and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.  Flip and microwave for another 1 1/2 minutes.  Let cool and dig in!  

See!  Easy peasy!  These cost maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of the store bought ones, but really less for us because I used veggies we would've thrown out anyway.  Yay for not wasting!  Another thing that's good about making these at home is that you can decide what you put in them.  My brother hates broccoli with a passion, and Amy's brand tends to put broccoli in almost all of their vegan frozen burritos.  No longer a problem!  

The entire burrito making action took me <30 minutes, and that includes picture taking and improv recipe-making.  Then lunches are made for the entire week!  Boom.

The other day, I did an exercise I've never done before called a pistol squat.  I did 15 on each leg during my workout, but that was enough:  my left quad was in PAIN!  I couldn't walk down the stairs without flinching. Sometimes, when walking, my leg would kind of give out from under me just because there was so much strain on it.  I took a rest day, followed by a day of an easy yoga workout.  My quad feels much better.  I was fine with taking unplanned rest days because I would rather not workout for two days than two months!

Today I woke up hungry!  My stomach growled while I was brushing my teeth.  I snuck downstairs and fed/ took out the dogs, then made this masterpiece:


Get In The Bowl Breakfast Cereal:
  • 1 1/2 cups kashi
  • 1/2 banana
  • Drizzle of Justin's Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
  • 2 Tbsp flax
  • 1 cup almond milk
Directions:  Devour.

Weird, teenager vegan cravings make the most awesome recipes!  Yes, I put hazelnut butter in my cereal.  There is nothing wrong with this.  Only right.

I feel there's a serious post brewing in me somewhere- I guess we'll see what that is soon!  I'm sorry that I haven't been updating my Oatmeal Page.  I've been having some technological problems.

Do you listen to your body when it needs rest or time to repair?

Have a nice Yom Kippur!  Sorry to show you all of these pictures of food :)

Comments

Popular Posts